The Annihilation Wave are a species that feature in Marvel Comics.
The Annihilation Wave was a large extradimensional horde consisting of various insectoid aliens and other allied races native to the Negative Zone who all served Annihilus. They were united under Annihilus's vision that the positive-matter universe had been encroaching on their dimension forcing them to attack in order to survive. (Annihilation v1 #1) On Annihilation Day, the Wave emerged from beyond the known universe and struck at the Kyln prison. Afterwards, numerous alien empires of the positive matter universe were struck during the invasion on Annihilation Day with Skrull and Kree territory struck with the Nova Corps destroyed leaving only Richard Rider the only surviving Nova. (Annihilation: Prologue v1 #1) Their emergence into the positive-matter universe saw them attacking numerous regions of space such as the Kree empire. (Annihilation: Ronan v4) A large fleet under the command of Admiral Salo took the Wave's superweapon known as the Harvester of Sorrows into Skrull space with the alien shapeshifters not providing an effective defence due to the infighting among the warlords that controlled the warring factions. (Annihilation: Super-Skrull v1 #1) To battle the Wave, the inhabitants of the universe were gathered into the United Front by Richard Rider where they made a stand at Daedalus 5 and successfully defeated one of the invaders fleets as well as captured the hive queen Extirpia. (Annihilation v1 #1) Ravenous then led enslaved troops and the Centurions in a renewed assault on Daedalus 5. (Annihilation v1 #2)
The tide was turned when Galactus was freed from his restraints and the World Devourer devastated a large section of the Annihilation Wave. Annihilus managed to survive the destruction of his fleet but he was killed in a fight against the Nova Richard Rider. Ravenous who served Annihilus ultimately sued for a peace treaty to be signed with territory ceded between the two sides in order to bring about an end to hostilities leading to a cold war state. Despite their leaders death, Annihilus was reborn through one of his Queens and began the period of slowly maturing again whilst Ranveous served as caretaker in charge of the Annihilation Wave. (Annihilation v1 #6) An after effect of the Annihilation Wave's assault was that it damaged the universe to the point that parts of it was simply falling away creating tears in reality. (Guardians of the Galaxy v2 #2)
A number of Annihilation Wave warriors present on the Kree homeworld of Hala engaged the Phalanx that had begun infesting the planet and mistakenly believed their Negative Zone technology was immune to infection. (Annihilation Conquest Starlord v1 #2) During the Kree/Shi'ar war, the Negative Zone hosts at Kree-Lar in the Ceded Territories which came under attack from the forces of Emperor Vulcan. This saw Lord Ravenous nearly killed by the Praetorian Xenith until she was stopped by the actions of Nova Prime. (Nova v4 #26)
After the Supreme Intelligence was reborn, he commanded a Kree armada to attack Earth and upon learning this the Cult of the Negative Zone informed their master Annihilus who had the gateway opened for his Annihilation Wave to attack. However, he was defeated by his prisoner Johnny Storm who took the Cosmic Control Rod and commanded the Annihilation Wave in defense of Earth against the Kree. (Fantastic Four v1 #600)
The Annihilation Wave were one of the factions that joined the newly formed Galactic Council where Annihilus himself provided a venue for them to meet one another. They later served as one of the alien empires that worked to discuss and combat the threat posed by the Builders.
Following the regroup of the Galactic Council, Annihilus revealed to his comrades that a second great Annihilation Wave had been assembled and ready to join the battle. However, Gladiator recalled the events of the first wave and asked if Annihilus could control his forces to which he replied that he could not. Thus, the Council debated on their action as it meant the potential defeat of the Builders but at the risk of the Wave consuming all known space. This resulted in Captain America offering another alternative which was negotiation with the Builders where one of the alien entities being present on the Kree homeworld. (Avengers v5 #20) Despite the return of the Kree and renewed assault, the allies were unable to stem the Builder advance. This led to the allies opening a wormhole into the Negative Zone leading to a large swarm from the Annihilation Wave entering into normal space. These forces attacked the enemy and managed to overwhelm the Aleph warriors until one of the Builders tapped into their biology forcing the swarm to attack itself. Thus, the Annihilation Wave was stopped at their forces became decimated through the Builder's interference in their hive mind. (Avengers v5 #21) Following the Builder War, the drones of the Wave used the Stargate converted doorway into the Negative Zone to transform Praxis-2 into Annihilation World. (Infinity v1 #6)
In appearance, the Annihilation Wave were a race consisting largely of insectoid-like beings of various shapes and sizes from titanic beasts to humanoids. (Annihilation: Prologue v1 #1) Their kind were noted to feed on the bodies of their fallen foes. (Annihilation: Super-Skrull v1 #1) It was claimed that they scavenged for organic raw material for recycling. (Annihilation: Nova v1 #1)
The insectoids that made up the Wave shared a hive mind and tended to act as one with no individual initiatives. (Annihilation v1 #4)
At the top of the hierarchy were the Queens that served in the Annihilation Wave. These creatures possessed powerful telepathic abilities known as monarchial cerebral beacons that were used to coordinate their forces. Queens had powerful mandible jaws a razor sharp claws that made them formidable physical foes. They were typically within flagships where their swollen abdomens were fused to the ships interior by the means of biotechnology where they were tended to by drones and chiggers. (Annihilation - The Nova Corps Files v1 #1) The death of a Queen led to the Wave forces under her command falling into disarray. (Annihilation v1 #4)
One breed were the control bugs that were technologically bred parasites that nested in biological forms where they infested them and compromised muscle control. (Annihilation v1 #4) Another force were the Chitinauts with the ones of the Seventh Stridulation who served one of the Lords of Arthros. (War of Kings: Ascension v1 #1)
Outside the actual insectoid members were an elite unit called the Centurions. Each were powerful warriors from the various worlds of the Negative Zone that were conquered by Annihilus. (Annihilation v1 #2)
Its armada consisted of a variety of space craft such as massive battleships the size of moons known as Dreds and smaller insectoid assault ships known as Skiffs that attacked in swarms. (Annihilation - The Nova Corps Files v1 #1) Among their most powerful ships was a superweapon called the Harvester of Sorrows that broke down a planet into its most basic organic elements. (Annihilation: Super-Skrull v1 #1)
Teleportation technology was a large part of the Wave allowing them to bring in their forces right on top of their enemies. (Annihilation v1 #3) Assault pods contained troop-drones that were in an egg-like state until the pod landed at a target whereupon its contents hatched and attacked their targets. (Nova v4 #1)
- Annihilus :
- Ravenous :
- Eradica :
- Extirpia :
- Extermina :
- Deko :
- Salo : an admiral who commanded the Harvester of Sorrows as they head into Skrull space. (Annihilation: Super-Skrull v1 #1)
- Hawal : chief scientist that was responsible for creating the organic based Harvester of Sorrows superweapon. (Annihilation: Super-Skrull v1 #2)
- The Annihilation Wave was created by Keith Giffen and Scott Kolins where they made their first appearance in Annihilation: Prologue v1 #1 (May 2006).
- In What If? Annihilation v1 (2007), an alternate possible world was shown whereby the cosmic powers failed to stop the Annihilation Wave that proceeded to attack Earth during the Civil War. A few space-based heroes such as Richard Rider and others managed to survive to warn Earth's superheroes. The Wave late struck Earth with massive strikes on multiple cities with heroes and villains working together to fight the invaders but suffered massive casualties. This invasion was only defeated wen Rider had convinced the Inhumans to intervene who helped destroy the Wave. However, further Annihilation Wave forces were en-route but they were tricked into Earth's Moon's position where the Watcher, Captain America and Iron Man triggered a Terminus device that caused a black hole that destroyed the invasion forces. Earth was ravaged in this reality but had managed to survive the Annihilation Wave.
- In Secret Wars v1 (2016), an alternate reality version of the Annihilation Wave resided on Battleworld where they were one of the great threats that lived passed the walls of the Shield.
In other media
- In Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, the Annihilation Wave did not appear in the animated television series but creatures serving Annihilus were seen in the episode "Contest of Champions" where the Grandmaster refer to Annihilus's species as Insectoids. During the Contest of Champions, one of the contests involved an Insectoid sport called 'consumption' that consisted of eating large quantities of worm-like creatures, which the Thing lost to the Impossible Man.
- In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, a race of insectoid aliens native to the Negative Zone appeared in the animated television series in the episode "Assault on 42". They were not given any name but appeared as a large horde of flying insects that attacked Prison 42 and were led by Annihilus. He led them until the Leader disrupted Annihilus's command of the Cosmic Control Rod whereupon the bugs turned on him and fled.
- In Marvel: War of Heroes, the Annihilation Wave was referenced in the playable card for Annihilus in the video game.
- Annihilation: Prologue v1:
- Annihilation v1:
- Annihilation: Ronan v1:
- Annihilation: Super-Skrull v1:
- Annihilation - The Nova Corps Files v1:
- Fantastic Four' v1':
- Avengers v5:
- Infinity v1: