From Multiversal Omnipedia
- Doctor Who (Expanded Universe): January. The Arms for Humanity exhibition raises millions of ecu (European currency units) for the Preserve our Planet Fund (a front for Panama Projects Incorporated). (Iceberg)
- Real World: January 10. U.S. President George Bush announces a plan to send 21,500 additional troops into Iraq as part of a "surge."
- Real World: January 11. China successfully tests a ground-based ballistic missile system capable of destroying satellites in orbit.
- Real World: January 31. Electronic devices used as part of a guerrilla marketing campaign for the animated series Aqua Teen Hunger Force start a security panic in Boston, Massachusetts, when local authorities mistake them for explosive devices.
- Real World: March 23. Iranian naval forces capture British sailors in disputed waters between Iraq and Iran.
- Real World: April 24. Gliese 581c, a possibly Earth-like extra-solar planet, is discovered in the constellation Libra.
- Real World: May 15. The coalition Palestinian government breaks down as members of Fatah and Hamas enter heavy combat in the Gaza Strip.
- Real World: June 2. Four people are charged in a terror plot against JFK International Airport in New York.
- Real World: June 27. Tony Blair resigns as Prime Minister of the U.K.; he is replaced by Gordon Brown.
- Real World: June 30. The entrance of the main terminal of Glasgow International Airport is struck by a Jeep Cherokee in what appeared to be intended as a terrorist attack.
- Real World: July 16. Britain expels four Russian diplomats as a protest against Russia's refusal to extradite Andrei Lugovoi, accused of murdering former KGB agent Alexander Litveninko. Russia responds three days later by expelling four British embassy staffers and refusing to cooperate with the U.K. in the war on terror.
- Real World: August 17. Russian President Vladimir Putin announces that Russia will resume its strategic bomber flight exercises, which had been suspended since the collapse of the Soviet Union.
- Real World: August 25. A national state of emergency is declared in Greece after a series of devastating wildfires. Forty-four people are slain in two bombings in Hyderabad, India.
- Real World: September 26. Yasuo Fukuda is sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Japan. The government of Myanmar begins cracking down on anti-government protests.
- Real World: October 18. Former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto returns to Pakistan after eight years in exile; later that day, suicide bombers blow themselves up near her convoy, killing many in the crowd.
- Real World: November 3. Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf declares a national state of emergency.
- Real World: December 2. A referendum in Venezuela narrowly defeats President Hugo Chavez's proposed changes to the national constitution.
- Real World: December 31. Riots erupt in Kenya following the results of a contentious Presidential election.
- Cowboy Bebop: The 13-year-old girl who later becomes known as Faye Valentine records a message intended for her 23-year-old self. (Cowboy Bebop: "Speak Like a Child")
- Transformers (U.S. Animated): Galvatron assembles all the Decepticons into a massive strike force, and steals the key to the Plasma Energy Chamber from Autobot City. The Decepticons then attack Cybertron, where Scourge is badly damaged when he opens the Chamber; a shuttlefull of Autobots is blown to the planet Nebulos, while Decepticons led by Cyclonus follow. Nebulon rebels merge with the Autobots to form Headmasters and Targetmasters, while the ruling Hive of Nebulos merge with the Decepticons to do the same. Meanwhile, Galvatron has Cybertron pushed near Earth, planning to unleash the Chamber's energies to destroy both worlds; he is stopped by the returning Autobots, and the energies rechanneled to bring Cybertron into a new golden age. The Decepticons, aboard Scorponok, are blown to the far reaches of the galaxy, but Galvatron plans his return. (Transformers: "Rebirth" Parts I-III)
- Futurama: Release of Charlie's Angels III: The Legend of Charlie's Gold. (Futurama: "I Dated a Robot")
- Transformers (Films): Events of Transformers.
- Christopher Floyd (Space Odyssey)
|<< Back to 2006||^Up to 2000s^||Forward to 2008 >>|